Seventh/Eighth Day

Day/Seven
July 8, 2009

Today was the first CAF Intern Field Trip! We visited the Modern Wing of the Art Institute. I've been there before, but the tour of the Architecture and Design Gallery was fascinating. Jeanne Gang has her work there. It's a concept model based on sequins. The sequins-like shapes serve as photovoltaic materials. It's aesthetically pleasing and it serves a great purpose of having an environmentally friendly structure.

Here are some photos from our trip:


We went to the garden located next to the Art Institute. We also discussed the purpose of the garden and how it fulfills its purpose. I mentioned the sound of the fountain and how it emphasizes tranquil sounds in the park.

The Modern Wing - interior staircase leading to second level


Another view of the staircase


Done by Studio Gang;
I remember seeing this when the Modern Wing first opened. Now that I see it, I work there and it feels good!


Design Gallery


Design Gallery


Sketching exercise - I sketched a part of this perspective


Modern Wing Deck


The view outside of the deck. It was raining so this picture isn't too great. I looked up the builing names--I keep forgetting them! Aqua looks awesome from the view.